About Me

Music is inspirational, haunting, life-changing. I could not live without music. It gives me many ideas. The time has come to share them.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

I sit and I wait and I stare. Still wishing for a divine intervention to lift me from my chair.

I had a hard time deciding what lyrics to use this month. With a mass shooting earlier this month in Orlando, then a bombing today in Istanbul, it was hard not to go with a song of anger and hatred. I didn't want to fall into that trap, though, so I went with a different approach. This song is called "Saw Something" and it's by Dave Gahan, who is better known as the lead singer of Depeche Mode. The song in its entirety is about waiting for a past girlfriend to take him back, but I'm taking these lyrics and going a different direction with them.

How many of us have been guilty of this? Guilty of just sitting around, doing nothing useful, waiting for life to become...better. I know I have certainly been guilty of it in the past. I did it for about ten years, waiting for the life I wanted to arrive. I passed the time with video games, movies, and friends. While I certainly don't regret the time with friends, I wish I had done something more with my life.

In another way, I feel like most of the world is doing this. When we turn on the news, what do we hear? Death, hatred, destruction, war. It's almost entirely negatives, and now even our politicians are doing the same. It's all very depressing, and the longer this goes on, the more it seems society is just...waiting. We're waiting for the negativity to pass. We're waiting for the death and war to end.

We need to stop waiting. As a society, as a country (or multiple countries), we need to rise up and say, "Enough is enough! We want an end to the negativity and depression. We want our world to be a better place for our children and grandchildren!" Don't fall into the mental trap that one person can't change the world and then just give up. We can all make individual changes. For example, I am going to change the world by being more accepting and loving of those who are different than I am. Muslim or Christian, Republican or Democrat, European or American or Asian, black or white, gay or bi or straight. It doesn't matter what labels we assign to people or how they differ, I am going to accept them for who they are.

Divine intervention will never come if all we do is sit and wait and stare. It's time to make a difference.

Here's a link to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWfiUSAuw8Q

No comments:

Post a Comment